Activity Spotlight: RAK Club & SLP

Photo by Mrs. Vaillancourt

R.A.K. students, also in Valley’s Leadership class, help out their South View Word Study Buddies.

Random Acts of Kindness Club ( R.A.K. Club)

R.A.K. club was created for students, by students. Unlike the other after-school activities, this unique club is run by student officers. They meet once a month to plan what they’re going to do for the community that month. The Random Acts of Kindness Club is made up of 7th and 8th-grade students in the Leadership/Critical Issues/Service Class. The purpose of this club is to provide leadership and learning activities for students. They recently organized “Trunk or Treat” in the VMSS parking lot to collect food for Mission Outpost. They also plan to go to Feed My Starving Children and will continue to volunteer with the 1st graders at Southview.

Student Leadership Process (S.L.P.)

SLP is made of 7th and 8th graders at VMSS. This year, because of construction and the 8th graders moving temporarily to the high school, there’s a slight change. 7th graders are doing service for VMSS South, while the 8th graders are doing service for the high school. They meet every month to discuss and plan services for the schools. SLP is free, except for the occasional off campus retreats. Ms. Simonet said “The club has really evolved around the past 10 years,” she also quoted “giving kids more opportunities to be leaders through service”. Before joining S.L.P., you have to meet certain requirements that include not having excessive tardies, no behavioral referrals to the office, or detentions and suspensions. They look for students who make good choices every day. They hope that by the end of the year, S.L.P. members will be able to help others, have strong leadership, and follow through with commitments.

Note: 7th & 8th graders sign up for SLP in the spring of every school year.