The Eagle's Call

VMSS should add higher-level classes

Photo by Kacee Wells

Photo by Kacee Wells

Kacee Wells, Opinion Editor

Sometime throughout your school experience, you will be placed in a class that is just too easy. I realize that there is an advanced class in math, but what about the other classes like Communications, American Studies, Science, and English? In high school, they have higher- level classes. Why don’t we have some sort of higher-level classes as well?

Even if the level of classes right now is perfect for you, this change would still be beneficial. Here’s why: if the teacher doesn’t have to worry about students who already know what the teacher’s teaching, she has more time to focus on all the other students.

The school would not have to add more classes. There would be the same number of classes, just different classes. It’s all about balance. For example, say there are 5 ELA classes with 30 students each (150 student total), and let’s say there are about sixty students who would be in higher level classes that make two new classes that are higher level. What about everyone else? Well, that’s where balance is really key; basically, everyone else would be split among the other 4 sections.

Something else to be considered is what exactly the higher-level classes would teach. I know that the advanced math class teaches the 8th-grade curriculum, and I think that could really work for higher level classes.

How would the school filter students into the higher-level classes? I believe a good method for this would be a multi-step process: 1. You must apply because if you’re happy in the class you’re in, why change? 2. You must have at least a B in that class (that’s just because they would need to know you can succeed in a higher-level class). 3. You must pass (in this case passing does not mean 100%) a test to make sure you know the information in 7th grade because you would be going into the 8th grade curriculum. 4. There might need to be a final filter step, depending on how many students get this far.

How do we know there are enough students for this change? Well, I think the answer is simple. Remember in 5th and 6th grade when you always heard GT (gifted and talented) announcements? GT had a lot of 6th grades that are now 7th graders that could apply for the higher-level classes.

What about transferring out of a higher-level classes? I talked about transferring in and out of classes in depth in my article titled “switching class sections should be easier,” and I think that it would be a very similar process, except the school would need to find a way around one thing: curriculum differences. In higher-level classes, students would be taught at an 8th-grade level so they may not know all the necessary information to succeed in a non-higher-level class. This problem would need to be considered and worked out.

I think that everyone would benefit from higher-level class options being added to Valley Middle School.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “VMSS should add higher-level classes”

1. Morgan on January 22nd, 2018 7:18 pm

Valley Middle does WONDERFUL with engageing students and keeping the things we learn about interesting. While I agree with how some classes are easy at certain times, skipping a whole grade of a certain class is not a great idea. I’m an 8th grader excelling in all my classes, and I thought last year was kinda easy too, however I still learned things and enjoyed the curriculum. If you’re in GT, you should be with at least 6 other GT kids in your core classes. That should help the teacher understand that they need to pay attention to you guys and give you a little something extra to make you think deeper. Also, it’s nice to have a few classes that are a little easier. While it’s fun to think as yourself as being “exceptional” and WAY ahead, you’ll only end up stressing yourself out. Enjoy your childhood while you can and appreciate that you find things easy.

A tip: Remember that it’s not just 7th graders you’re writing to. Instead of saying “8th grade curriculum” you should say “the next year’s curriculum” or something that addresses everyone, unless it would only be available for 7th graders.

[Reply]

2. Smithc87 on February 25th, 2018 4:09 pm

Hey very nice web site!! Man.. Beautiful.. Wonderful.. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds alsoKI am satisfied to seek out a lot of helpful information here in the publish, we want work out extra techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing befeacdebgkgbabb

[Reply]

This publication encourages civil discussion of important issues and values constructive reader feedback.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

Schools should have later start times

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

Editorial: Arming teachers is not the answer

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

VMSS needs an LGBTQ+ support club

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

Better background checks needed for gun ownership

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

True respect requires action

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

Phones should be allowed in school

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

Gun violence: a colossal problem requiring action

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

Reader’s letter: VMSS lockers are frustrating

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

Switching class sections should be easier

• VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

It is time to stand up against racism

A publication by and for students of Valley Middle School of STEM
VMSS should add higher-level classes