Editorial: Arming teachers is not the answer

Kacee Wells and Annie Paul

*Written on behalf of The Eagle’s Call Editorial Board.

The Parkland, Florida shooting has become a world-renowned tragedy. On Wednesday, February 14th, a public school in Parkland suffered a massacre when a nineteen-year-old killed seventeen people, including staff and students. Among the worst mass shootings in history, it was quickly publicized and has been the main topic in recent conversations among parents, students, politicians, and school districts. Some have been focusing on ways to increase security measures, are wanting teachers to be armed and extra prepared for shootings, and are finding new ways to prevent students and intruders from smuggling weapons. However, many students, the main victims of this ordeal, think this should not be the focus.

After this horrific event, there has been talk about taking drastic measures to help protect students, but would these measures actually help? There has been talk of arming teachers. We on The Eagle’s Call Editorial Board agree that arming teachers would not make students feel safer, but instead would make us feel less safe. A lot of teachers don’t even have locks on their desks, so there would be no place to store these firearms. If schools were to get safes, where would they be kept? How can public schools afford all of this? Also, wouldn’t it be better to use any extra money on school-related supplies?

We hope that school administrators, politicians, and lawmakers hear our voices and the voices of the Parkland victims…

The Parkland victims want military firearms banned nationally, like the AR-15 rifle that was used by 19-year-old Nicholas Cruz when he opened fire on Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. We understand why this is what the Parkland victims are asking for. The AR-15 rifle is known for being used in multiple past school shootings, including the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

Instead of putting so much attention on security, we also think that there needs to be more actions in favor of those who have witnessed this event and are suffering from emotional trauma. There are kids, barely older than us, who have seen things we could never begin to comprehend. We believe that these individuals need support, whether it be with support groups, counseling, medications, or just by reminding them that life, though scary, doesn’t need to be feared. A tragedy like this shouldn’t be handled alone by anyone, let alone by children.

The Eagle’s Call Editorial Board believes that the way many adults in our society are handling this tragedy is not the right way to solve this. In conclusion, we hope that school administrators, politicians, and lawmakers hear our voices and the voices of the Parkland victims who want military firearms banned nationally. We would also like to see the victims getting mental help so that they can deal with the grief and trauma that has been suddenly put on them.

*Editorials appearing in The Eagle’s Call represent the majority view of The Eagle’s Call Editorial Board and are written by one or more members of the board.