The Eagle's Call

Editorial: Arming teachers is not the answer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kacee Wells and Annie Paul

*Written on behalf of The Eagle’s Call Editorial Board.

The Parkland, Florida shooting has become a world-renowned tragedy. On Wednesday, February 14th, a public school in Parkland suffered a massacre when a nineteen-year-old killed seventeen people, including staff and students. Among the worst mass shootings in history, it was quickly publicized and has been the main topic in recent conversations among parents, students, politicians, and school districts. Some have been focusing on ways to increase security measures, are wanting teachers to be armed and extra prepared for shootings, and are finding new ways to prevent students and intruders from smuggling weapons. However, many students, the main victims of this ordeal, think this should not be the focus.

After this horrific event, there has been talk about taking drastic measures to help protect students, but would these measures actually help? There has been talk of arming teachers. We on The Eagle’s Call Editorial Board agree that arming teachers would not make students feel safer, but instead would make us feel less safe. A lot of teachers don’t even have locks on their desks, so there would be no place to store these firearms. If schools were to get safes, where would they be kept? How can public schools afford all of this? Also, wouldn’t it be better to use any extra money on school-related supplies?

We hope that school administrators, politicians, and lawmakers hear our voices and the voices of the Parkland victims…”

The Parkland victims want military firearms banned nationally, like the AR-15 rifle that was used by 19-year-old Nicholas Cruz when he opened fire on Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. We understand why this is what the Parkland victims are asking for. The AR-15 rifle is known for being used in multiple past school shootings, including the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

Instead of putting so much attention on security, we also think that there needs to be more actions in favor of those who have witnessed this event and are suffering from emotional trauma. There are kids, barely older than us, who have seen things we could never begin to comprehend. We believe that these individuals need support, whether it be with support groups, counseling, medications, or just by reminding them that life, though scary, doesn’t need to be feared. A tragedy like this shouldn’t be handled alone by anyone, let alone by children.

The Eagle’s Call Editorial Board believes that the way many adults in our society are handling this tragedy is not the right way to solve this. In conclusion, we hope that school administrators, politicians, and lawmakers hear our voices and the voices of the Parkland victims who want military firearms banned nationally. We would also like to see the victims getting mental help so that they can deal with the grief and trauma that has been suddenly put on them.

*Editorials appearing in The Eagle’s Call represent the majority view of The Eagle’s Call Editorial Board and are written by one or more members of the board. 

13 Comments

13 Responses to “Editorial: Arming teachers is not the answer”

1. Olivia on March 2nd, 2018 11:05 am

Another thing with the armed staff is, that would mean they would have to take part in the violence and that might be more traumatic as well for the students because their teacher just shot someone or traumatic for the staff member because they shot someone. I didn’t even think of the safety of the weapons and the fact they would just be open for anyone because there aren’t locks. Also the windows. Even if they are bullet proof or something, an intruder can see right in. Even if the lights are off it is still a giant hazard there. How about at least some curtains or something?

2. Someone you don't know on April 24th, 2018 6:54 am

Not bullet proof, bullet proof glass is SUPER thick.

3. will on June 1st, 2018 8:19 am

the “ar” in ar15 stands for amror lite

4. Someone you don't know on April 24th, 2018 3:22 pm

Let me ask you a question, would you shoot up a school where every teacher had a gun? Also most of the school shooting are committed with a pistol. The only thing that has stopped a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun! Have you heard of the Suther land spring shooting? No I thought not considering all the fake news medias today, either way wanna know who stopped it? A NRA member with a GUN. Or the maryland shooting where a un-duty school police shot him with a GUN! You see pattern here? This is what we need more good guys with weapons AKA Teachers, also who would talk back to a teacher with a gun? Do you think bad guys will turn there guns in? If you outlaw guns then only outlaws will have them.

5. Brady c on May 22nd, 2018 11:33 am

Yes, stop a bad guy with a gun takes a good guy with a gun. All these people are mistaken to think that the gov’t should control guns, because that’s not it, we should. We should have more power than the gov’t according to our founding fathers, and letting them control guns is giving away our freedom and letting them have more power. So I here these people want our government to ban Asult-style weapons, so what’s next, our 2nd Amendment? I agree with the idea that the government should keep their hands of guns and not us, we should keep our hands on guns! Do you all really think the government controlling guns will work, as the old saying goes “laws are ment to be broken”. So let’s just say some attack happens during a time when their is strict gun control, nobody can defend themselves! So the result is more people die. If it is anyone is to control guns it is us.

6. Lucy on November 15th, 2018 2:04 pm

I agree with this article, arming teachers definitely isn’t the answer. So many things can go wrong, what if a teacher all of a sudden snapped? Or a student got ahold of the gun? I cannot feel safe at school if in almost every room there is a gun. If guns were banned and people had to turn them in many dangerous people wouldn’t have these resources anymore.

7. Blayke Swanson on November 16th, 2018 10:19 am

I agree on this topic about being more prepared for shootings and teachers should be armed. But I have a question for you Maddy, what if we should have at least 5 cops in a school just to be extra careful because we don’t know when shootings start. I also want cameras at each exit from the school like the front door of the school and other exits from the school, each 2 cameras at each exit and getting the school. I just hope school shootings end and everyone will be safe and should be safe in every school.

8. Collin Keeney on November 16th, 2018 10:42 am

Ok so 1 who ever wrote this was clearly not thinking. 2 If the government took all guns away that would be breaking the law because of the 2 amendment and bad people would still get guns because of imports and the black market. On top of that cops and the military and the government is always behind terrorist and school shooters. If we put guns in schools I swear there would not be nearly as many deaths or school shootings. I understand that some people in a school might feel not as safe but over all I think more people would feel safer over all.

9. Kacee Wells on November 19th, 2018 12:34 pm

This article was written on behalf of the editorial staff and I as an educated 8th grade student with a 4.0 I urge you to think before you comment without knowing the facts. Your comment is not only a bit offensive, but incorrect. You said the goverment is behind school shootings and terrorist attacks. That is rediculous the goverment stopped ISIS a terrorest group who killed hundreds of people. Have some respect for our government. Maybe in North Korea, but never here. Also the goverment can amend an amendment.

10. Anonymous on January 4th, 2019 11:37 am

I think it’s a good idea actually, and If had some more time would explain

11. . on January 24th, 2019 12:40 pm

You don’t need a desk with a lock. Ever heard of a holster? And the teacher would pay for the gun themselves and the school/district wouldn’t have to be involved.

12. A person on January 24th, 2019 1:26 pm

Teachers don’t need a locked desk. A holster would work just fine and it would be unaccessible to students. Also, the district/school wouldn’t have to be involved.

13. L on January 29th, 2019 4:51 pm

Guns don’t kill people.
    People kill people.

This publication encourages civil discussion of important issues and values constructive reader feedback.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Editorial: Arming teachers is not the answer

Opinion

Editorial: Student homework load needs to be reduced

Opinion

Dress code needs to be changed

Opinion

We should have grade-separated lunches

Opinion

Zoos should be banned

Opinion

Girls should be accepted on boys’ sports teams

Opinion

Schools should have later start times

Opinion

VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

VMSS needs an LGBTQ+ support club

Opinion

Better background checks needed for gun ownership

Opinion

True respect requires action

A publication by and for students of Valley Middle School of STEM