VMSS remembers a beloved teacher

VMSS remembers a beloved teacher

Valley Middle School of STEM received some very sad news earlier this week. On May 8, 2018, a very memorable teacher passed away after battling kidney cancer.

Maureen Thielen was a physical education teacher here at Valley Middle school who worked alongside Mrs. Reuter and Mrs. LaChapelle.

Mid-November of last year, Mr. McKeag made an announcement that Mrs. Thielen would be absent for a medical leave due to her diagnosis of cancer, and we were all very saddened by the news. In the office, placed on a table beside the door, was a small gift bag for students to place a “get-well” card inside and send it out to her.

Maureen Thielen was an inspiration to her students. During her lifetime, she completed 34 marathons, including a few in Boston, and 3 Hawaiian Ironman Triathlons.

Here is what some VMSS students and staff members had to say about Mrs. Thielen this week:

“She was always encouraging her students to always try and do their best. She loved her students, she loved running; she will be missed greatly.” -Mrs. Reuter

“She was always positive. And she would always say, ‘we can make that work!’ We’re really going to miss her a lot.” -Dr. Buchwald

“She was really, really a lovely lady.” -Ms. Goldman

“She was one of my favorite teachers. She was one of the nicest.” -Owen Unton (7th Grader)

“She was always concerned about students health and fitness. [Mrs. Thielen] Really cared about kids. She was really tough, she wasn’t supposed to make it until June of 2016, she was a fighter!”  -Principal McKeag

“As a homeroom and gym teacher, she was always really nice to everyone, she made sure that the school was fit, and she just loved her students.” -Jackson Gilmore (7th Grader)

“Super positive, she always encouraged kids: ‘You can do it! Keep going! You got it!’” -Mrs. Tutewohl

“I never had her in class, but she was really nice at lunch.” -Ariana Monnens (7th Grade)

“It’s sad to know that another student and I were the last ones to receive an Eagle Pride award from her.”  -Emily Toews (7th Grader)

“She was a very nice gym teacher. She was kind and funny.” –Sheheni Mahabamunuge (7th Grader)

“I worked with her for nearly 20 years, and she was a devoted mom—family person—she loved the students she had. She was such a positive person, and she’d always encourage students that if they had a positive attitude it could come over a lot of adversity. And after she found out she had the cancer, she didn’t sit around and let it happen, she did research and looked for the best ways to help herself. She was devoted to Valley Middle School, its students, and its staff.” -Mrs. Blazek

Please feel free to add your own memories or thoughts in our comment section below. Let our thoughts and prayers rest with her family.

Obituary and service information: http://www.whitefuneralhomes.com/obituary/maureen-thielen