Teacher Feature: Mr. Mathews

Mr. Mathews is new to Valley Middle School of STEM this year. Teaching 6th grade Minnesota Studies and 8th grade Global Studies, Mr. Mathews’ mission is to educate every mind that steps into his classroom with the knowledge of this world.

Mr. Mathew’s life is the definition of adventure, from serving in the Air Force for 20 years to living in England. Mathews graduated from high school in Hawaii and West Virginia’s University of Charleston. He has taught many kids of different ages and subjects, such as Government, History, Special Education, 5th grade elementary and more. He has been to 44 of the 50 states in the United States of America, where he has seen a wide variety of lifestyles. In addition to Minnesota, Mr. Mathews has taught in South Carolina and Virginia.

Being educated with the STEM curriculum helps you to integrate and learn about a wide variety of subjects and skills that will be more than helpful in life.

— Mr. Mathews

Mr. Mathews has seen different ways other schools educate their students. He enjoys the way that Valley Middle School educates their students with the STEM curriculum. Mr Mathews said, “Being educated with the STEM curriculum helps you to integrate and learn about a wide variety of subjects and skills that will be more than helpful in life.” Mr. Mathews says that one of the things that sets Valley Middle School apart from previous schools he’s worked at is that the students work well together as well as the staff.  

In his free time he loves to golf. He says one of the reasons he loves golf is because “It is one of the only sports that you can take up as a child and still play for the rest of your life.” Mr. Mathews likes country music; his favorite artists are Zac Brown and Fleetwood Mac. Mr. Mathews has been married to Heather Mathews, a teacher at Southview, for 2 years. He has two stepchildren and three biological children.

Mr. Mathews is making an impact on the community of Valley Middle School of STEM with previous experience of educating students and serving in the military. Mr. Mathews is sharing his knowledge, wisdom, and energy with the students of Valley Middle School of STEM and is a great addition this year!