Students imagine, invest in the future

Photo by Zoey Meier

Future City is here, Future City is now.

Future City is a competition where 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students face off to see who can build the best futuristic city. The students are placed in groups of seven and create a city at least one hundred and fifty years in the future.

Some of the requirements are to build a unique virtual city, to write an essay about your city and to build a model of what your city would look like. According to Maddie Eng, “It takes a lot of planning and hard work.”

That information is classified.

— Maddie Eng, 7th Grade

This is Maddie’s second year doing Future City, and she loves it. Her favorite part of Future City is when her group took their individual ideas and put them together to form new ideas. Along with making the city, Maddie also enjoyed hanging out with the people in her group.  Future City is an easy way for students to make friends who share similar interests.

This year’s theme is “Powering Our Future.” Teams are required to build cities that would be able to withstand natural disasters. When asked what her group was going to do, Maddie said, “That information is classified.”

The VMSS Future City group meets every Tuesday in the FACS room, starting at 2:50 pm.  If you are looking for a way to invest in the future, make new friends and to express your creativity, come join Future City!