Students invest in Stock Market Game

Graphic by Mya Andrews

Abigail Noll, Staff Writer

There are a lot of great extracurricular activities at Valley Middle School like the Stock Market Game. The Stock Market Games is an interactive game that helps educate students on the Stock Market. The Stock Market Games is a team activity that takes course over a few months. Teams work together to research, buy, and sell stocks in order to increase profit.

A past participant from last years team described the Stock Market Game as a great engaging opportunity to learn your way around the economy without even realizing it. The Stock Market Game is a great gateway to show how the real stock investor works. In the real world, the stock market is a risky game, but investors who research and play their cards right can make millions.

[It’s a] great opportunity and it teaches you a lot about business and economics and how to spend your money wisely.

— Jacob Cooper, 7th Grade

There are many jobs that include managing stocks, a stock broker for example. A stock broker is someone who is paid to manage their clients stocks. A stock is a part of a company that people can invest in; as the company does well, investors make money. However, if the company does bad, investors can lose money.

Valley Middle School has participated in the Stock Market Games for many years. We have won numerous medals, including 2 from last year. Our teams from last year won 1st and 5th place. The winning teams were invited to a business lunch at a fancy hotel in Minneapolis. 

For students interested in a business career, the Stock Market Game is a great opportunity. The Stock Market Games gives students real life experiences in working with financial strategies. Jacob Cooper, a previous member, said that the Stock Market Games is a “great opportunity and it teaches you a lot about business and economics and how to spend your money wisely.”

Students interested in joining the Stock Market Game next year should talk to Mrs. Spychalla.