Teacher Feature: Mr. Medina

Courtesy of Daniela Jimbo Amacende

Daniela Jimbo Amacende, Staff Writer

Mr. Medina is a new teacher at Valley Middle, he entered the teaching profession as a 2nd career after working as a clinical social worker. He has taught in different schools, some were college, public elementary schools, and other non teaching jobs. He didn’t like seeing students for a couple of days at a time, and instead wanted to help them every week by having a teaching job instead of being a clinical social worker. There were differences from this school compared to other ones he has been in that he really enjoys.

When he worked as a clinical social worker, he only worked with students a couple of days. He didn’t like to see them only for a couple of days at a time, so he decided to instead work as a teacher.

I really enjoyed helping students, but it would’ve been better to work as a teacher and help them more out with seeing them every week.

— Mr. Medina

Mr. Medina is now helping students with disabilities, it’s one of the things that Mr. Medina enjoys doing. As he has gotten familiar with the school, there are a lot of differences here, compared to other schools. “I really like the idea of STEM. It’s something that interested me, having the Maker Space and Fab Lab are some things that aren’t usually something that schools have.”

Mr. Medina lives with his 3 cats and his husband. In his free time he enjoys watching movies, binge watching Netflix shows, and trying out new restaurants, “I really love trying out new restaurants, that is my favorite thing to do.” Mr. Medina is a great addition to this school year as he helps students and encourages them to work hard and achieve their accomplishments!