Teacher Feature: Mr. Spiegelberg

Math is an important skill in students’ everyday life, and Mr. Spiegelberg teaches it because he struggled with it in middle school. When he arrived in high school, he had an amazing math teacher who turned him around and motivated him to do better. He wants to provide students with opportunities for improvement like that teacher did for him. Mr. Spiegelberg teaches at Valley Middle School of STEM because his kids go to a school in the same district. He was a teacher in Bloomington for the last sixteen years.

I enjoy seeing the light bulbs turn on when the students understand it, and they’re doing some pretty cool math.

— Mr. Spiegelberg

Mr. Spiegelberg, started to teach out right when he graduated from college in 2002. He taught computer science, but he finds math more enjoyable.

He grew up on a dairy farm in Manawa, Wisconsin. He lives with his wife Dar, his fifth grade-aged son Louis, his fourth grader Evie, and his last son is Gus, a Kindergartener, along with a couple of fish. Mr. Spiegelberg and his family are also considering getting another dog and naming it Euclid (Ūklid), after their old dog and a mathematician.

Halloween is the scariest time of year for some people, but Mr. Spiegelberg enjoys the holiday. He likes the weather change, seeing his kids dress up, and he enjoys going trick or treating with them. Mr. Spiegelberg says, “It’s just fun to dress up”. Although he likes Halloween, his favorite holiday is Christmas. He appreciates it because he like the music, snow, and the spirit that Christmas brings.

Mr. Spiegelberg was a football coach for the middle school, and he did track in high school. He is pleased by all sorts of music, but his favorite genre of music is top forty or country. He enjoys Florida Georgia Line, a country band. Lastly, Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games are his favorite books, and his favorite author is George R. R. Martin.

When people are in eighth grade they should hope to have Mr. Spiegelberg as their math teacher. He loves watching students learn and participate in the fun activities he has planned for everyone in his class. He has motivation to give to his students and teachers and anyone who asks.