The Eagle's Call

Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Every year, Valley Middle has two performances, a fall play and a spring musical. This year our musical is Mary Poppins. Many students try out in late January but not all of them make the cut. Some get large amounts of lines, while others get smaller parts. “Even if you don’t get a big part every part is special in their own way,” cast member Emma Fischer says. The play/musical is a Valley Middle tradition in a way because there has been a play and musical for as long as Mrs. Mersy can remember.

When the play or musical time comes around the directors spend about $1,000 – $2,000 dollars on the set, props, and costumes but make the majority of it back in tickets, concessions, and donations from parents, students, and cast/crew members. Mrs. Mersy mostly focuses costumes as well as also making sure that students know their schedules and when they have to be at rehearsals. Mrs. Gunn, the other play/musical advisor, deals with the publicity, help with the posters, and getting the star board ready. A star board is a place where you can purchase star shaped sticky notes and write nice messages to the cast and crew. After it is publicized, the cost is around $800 to $1,500 which is accumulated from families donating and concessions.

Even if you don’t get a big part every part is special in their own way.”

— Emma Fischer, 7th Grade

For those who don’t know, the story of Mary Poppins it is about a nanny who watches two young children by the names of Jane and Michael Banks who can’t seem to get a nanny to stay. Mary Poppins can teach everyone a thing or two, even adults. She says “Anything can happen if you let it.” Mary Poppins is best known for being a major motion picture, but before its release on August 27th of 1964 the story of Mary Poppins was originally a book, published in 1934 by P.L. Travers. Travers’ great Aunt Ellie, whose real name was Morehead, inspired the character of Mary Poppins. Ellie, like Mary poppins, carried around a carpetbag. The original Mary was based off a doll that Travers loved as a boy.

Mary Poppins is a nostalgic, touching story that is sure to capture the hearts of the audience. Don’t forget to be respectful during the performance; many students and teachers have worked hard for this to work out. Be a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious audience because everyone in the play has worked really hard. Performances are Thursday April 11 at 7pm; Friday April 12 at 7pm; and Saturday April 13 at 12pm. See you there!

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Mary Poppins hits the spotlight”

1. Person on April 9th, 2019 4:16 pm

The cast and crew has worked very hard for this show to be Amazing, So just enjoy it while you guys can and everybody will enjoy it Also good job! Aneesa Ishal and macie timm

2. Person in Cast on April 10th, 2019 2:50 pm

We work so hard on this so we really appreciate it when people DON’T insult or laugh at non-funny parts. It makes it really hard for us to make it a good show because we don’t feel motivated. So please don’t be rude.

3. Kamryn Britt on April 11th, 2019 7:56 am

I love this article so much, and it really made me realize how much work we put in and how much work the directors put in, just for our show. I would really like if people could just grow up and enjoy the show instead of making fun of your classmates, because it makes us feel like we did something wrong, which is not a good feeling.

4. Person on April 11th, 2019 9:46 am

People overlook how hard the tech crew works I speak for everyone when I say we would appreciate it if you didn’t overlook us

5. Aneesa Ishal on April 15th, 2019 8:42 am

Hi we didn’t mean to over look anyone everyone worked equally as hard so when i said crew Macie and I meant tech crew coustumes crew prop crew all of it.

This publication encourages civil discussion of important issues and values constructive reader feedback.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Arts & Entertainment

They’re Back

• Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Arts & Entertainment

No Ideas

• Arts & Entertainment

Cats & Lasers

• Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Arts & Entertainment

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse catches moviegoers in its web

• Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Arts & Entertainment

Valley Middle School: 8th Graders, Part 2

• Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Arts & Entertainment

Illusion

• Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Arts & Entertainment

Ice Box Blues

• Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Arts & Entertainment

Sarcasm is my language

• Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Arts & Entertainment

Spaghetti Pickles: Origins

• Mary Poppins hits the spotlight

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: Fantastic Beasts: The crimes of Grindelwald

A publication by and for students of Valley Middle School of STEM
Mary Poppins hits the spotlight