VMSS: A place Where Everyone Belongs

WEB is a program for 8th graders to help mentor incoming 6th graders and to help them feel more welcome at Valley Middle during their transition from elementary to middle school. The class of 2024 will be the first group of WEB students to become WEB leaders.

Those who applied will be interviewed this week in a groups of 5-7 students at a time. During the interview some questions are serious questions and some are questions to lighten the mood. The four teachers in charge of WEB, and those conducting interviews, are Ms. Goldman, Mrs. Holman, Mrs. Schultz, and Mrs. Pelinka.

I wanted to be a WEB leader because I thought it would be a really fun experience.

— Tristin Plank, 8th grader

The inspiration for WEB came from a staff member. “I was inspired by Mrs. Holman,” Ms. Goldman said, “because she had W.E.B. at her children’s school and when she brought it up in meeting, I immediately was jumping on board with the idea. I loved the idea of WEB.” Mrs. Shultz had to agree with Ms. Goldman on that statement. Mrs. Holman said she was inspired by her kid’s school and presented it to Mr. McKeag and the other teachers during a meeting.

Mrs. Pelinka explained WEB as “a 6th grade transition program aimed to help incoming 6th graders feel more comfortable, safe and like they belong here in the middle school. Becoming a new student in a middle school setting can be intimidating, and this program helps them with problems and issues they may face, like with lockers, homework, organization, schedules and friendships.” The other teachers agreed with Mrs. Pelinka.

Becoming a new student in a middle school setting can be intimidating, and this program helps them with problems and issues they may face, like with lockers, homework, organization, schedules and friendships.

— Mrs. Pelinka

8th-grade WEB leader Tristin Plank said, “I wanted to be a WEB leader because I thought it would be a really fun experience.” Dakota Dunn said he had the same reason. It has turned out to be a great WEB year.

There are a lot of amazing opportunities and field trips that WEB allows you to participate in. Being part of WEB would also look amazing on your college and job resume in the future! WEB is an amazing chance to get to know your peers and develop those leadership skills Mr. Welter and Mr. Gootee are always nagging you about!