Choir teachers encourage school harmony

Choir is a great way to become a better singer and connect with others who also love to sing. The choir teachers, Mr. Larsen and Mr. Adedeji, are sure to make choir an even better place to sing.

Before coming to teach at Valley this year, Mr. Larsen taught at Cottage Grove Middle School for ten years as the theater director. Now, he teaches choir here at Valley Middle in the mornings and teaches choir at Apple Valley High School in the afternoons. He says, “I’m really excited hearing how great the singers are at this school, it seems like there’s a lot of energy and so I’m excited to start getting into our concert music and putting on a show for all the parents.”

Mr. Adedeji is also another teacher here at Valley. He teaches choir, general music, and music technology. Before he came to Valley Middle, he was a general music teacher at Suntrail Elementary in Burnsville. He said, “I would agree with Mr. Larsen, I’m just excited to make music and the number of people in our choirs, it’s just nice to see how it’s growing, and to see how many people are singing.”

“I’m really excited hearing how great the singers are at this school, it seems like there’s a lot of energy and so I’m excited to start getting into our concert music and putting on a show for all the parents.

— Mr. Larsen

While the new choir teachers are great, we will all miss Mrs. Cherner who no longer works in Apple Valley. Mr. Adedeji said, “She loved working here. She loved the students, it was a tough decision to leave but she wanted to try something new.” She worked both at Valley Middle and Apple Valley high school, and when an opportunity to work at a different high school full time came up, she applied so she could have a bigger impact on the singers there.

Mrs. Cherner will be missed for her great teaching at our middle school and high school, but the new teachers have great promise for the future of choir.