The Eagle's Call

Phones should be allowed in school

Artwork by Maddy Mortinson

Artwork by Maddy Mortinson

Phones were invented through lots of science and research and can be a privilege. Some students are taking advantage of this privilege, and some are using this privilege responsibly. Why should all students suffer on the behalf of an irresponsible minority?

I believe that phones should be allowed in school for various reasons. I believe that if there is an emergency in progress and there is no time to get to the office, you could use your phone to call contact your parents or guardian.

Another reason phones should be allowed is if you are walking to your bus on school property, already on your way home, but you left your phone at home due to school rules. How could you contact your parent or guardian that you are on your way home or that you are safe.

Also, some students ride the bus and parents sometimes forget in the morning to let the student know that they are going to pick them up after school instead of riding the bus. All of these are reasons to at least bring your phone to school.

Phones are banned from VMSS for various reasons, one being that students don’t need your phone in a place of learning. Another reason is that kids our age sometimes don’t listen in class because we are on our phone. Some other reasons may be not having enough person-to-person communication. Instead, we’re Facetiming or just using social media apps as Facebook, Twitter or even Snapchat.

These are all worth thinking about, but there are more positive things outweighing the bad thing about having phones at school. All students shouldn’t be punished for the other students not paying attention. All could make a difference by paying attention in class with the privilege with having phones in school.

1 Comment

One Response to “Phones should be allowed in school”

1. will on December 21st, 2017 11:17 am

Phones Aren’t Meant for Classrooms

By Will

When I was young most of my friends had phones in class, they would play with them, slowing class down. Phones should not be aloud in class because they are a distraction for others, get in the way of learning and can be a cheating device.
    Phones should not be in the classroom, because it is a distraction to others. Phones have way too many mobile apps that are tempting to students. Also, phone allow you to text you friends during class. Phones give students the ability to search games online. So, we need to get rid of phones in class.
    People may argue that phone are great for emergency, such as needing to call parents to get pick up, however there are other ways that student can contact parents. Some example would be using the school phone, or going to locker during passing time and texting parents, go to the office and ask to use the phone.
    Cell phones can be also used as a cheating device. For example, kids can search web for answers, text answers to each other, put a cheat sheet in the note app on phone, use the calculator when they are not allowed. Research studies have found that 65% teens bring phones to school whether or not there is a ban in place.
    When I was young most of my friends had phones in class, they would play with them, slowing class down. Phones should not be aloud in class because they are a distraction for others, get in the way of learning and can be an cheating device.so what do you think?

“Cell Phones Should Not Be Allowed In School.” Cell Phones Should Not Be Allowed In School | Young Writers Project. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2017.

Rosa48. “Why Cell Phones Should Not Be Allowed in Classrooms.” Prezi.com. N.p., 04 Apr. 2016. Web. 28 Apr. 2017.

[Reply]

This publication encourages civil discussion of important issues and values constructive reader feedback.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

Girls should be accepted on boys’ sports teams

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

Schools should have later start times

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

Editorial: Arming teachers is not the answer

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

VMSS should add higher-level classes

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

VMSS needs an LGBTQ+ support club

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

Better background checks needed for gun ownership

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

True respect requires action

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

Gun violence: a colossal problem requiring action

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

Reader’s letter: VMSS lockers are frustrating

• Phones should be allowed in school

Opinion

Switching class sections should be easier

A publication by and for students of Valley Middle School of STEM
Phones should be allowed in school