We should have grade-separated lunches

Kacee Wells

More stories from Kacee Wells

The first two days of the 2018-2019 school year were plain chaos. I’m not the first one to think this. The main problem students have is they have no friends to sit with. I was in the exact same boat for a week or two, but then I found an old friend to eat with. We are in only classes with our grade level peers. Which means we spend the most time with people in our grade level and that means thats who we’re friends with. It should be up to us the students who we spend our lunch with. It may be a fair system, but when has that ever meant it was the best system.

I get why the lunches are the way they are, but that doesn’t mean it’s the “best” or “right” way.

If you’re curious the way students are placed into lunches, it is a computerized system and is completely random. Your advisory and 4th hour are accounted for in the system. I get the frustration. I myself, along with every 6th, 7th, and 8th graders have fewer of our friends in our lunches because the odds really are stacked against us. Generally, 6th graders are friends with 6th graders and 7th graders are friends with 7th graders etc. The reason for that is we have classes with them and are in mostly the same points in our lives.

I get why the lunches are the way they are, but that doesn’t mean it’s the “best” or “right” way. One better way that would let the students enjoy their lunch, would be maybe letting the students have some sort of a say. The best solution, in my opinion, would be to do it by grade (and if that’s not possible do like mostly 8th with some seventh graders or another combination). Lunch is our time, and mostly the only time at school that is our time. We should have grade-separated lunches.