The Eagle's Call

We should have grade-separated lunches

Kacee Wells

More stories from Kacee Wells

Photo by Emily Melville

Photo by Emily Melville

The first two days of the 2018-2019 school year were plain chaos. I’m not the first one to think this. The main problem students have is they have no friends to sit with. I was in the exact same boat for a week or two, but then I found an old friend to eat with. We are in only classes with our grade level peers. Which means we spend the most time with people in our grade level and that means thats who we’re friends with. It should be up to us the students who we spend our lunch with. It may be a fair system, but when has that ever meant it was the best system.

I get why the lunches are the way they are, but that doesn’t mean it’s the “best” or “right” way.”

If you’re curious the way students are placed into lunches, it is a computerized system and is completely random. Your advisory and 4th hour are accounted for in the system. I get the frustration. I myself, along with every 6th, 7th, and 8th graders have fewer of our friends in our lunches because the odds really are stacked against us. Generally, 6th graders are friends with 6th graders and 7th graders are friends with 7th graders etc. The reason for that is we have classes with them and are in mostly the same points in our lives.

I get why the lunches are the way they are, but that doesn’t mean it’s the “best” or “right” way. One better way that would let the students enjoy their lunch, would be maybe letting the students have some sort of a say. The best solution, in my opinion, would be to do it by grade (and if that’s not possible do like mostly 8th with some seventh graders or another combination). Lunch is our time, and mostly the only time at school that is our time. We should have grade-separated lunches.

17 Comments

17 Responses to “We should have grade-separated lunches”

1. Olivia on October 16th, 2018 11:57 am

I actually enjoy mixed lunches. I get to meet more people and make new friends and not stay with the same friends. I have lunch with 6th grade and 8th grade, and it’s great to be able to leave an impression on them and I meet so many great people in the lunch lines and sitting down. Having lunch with only 8th graders like myself would be so much less interesting because I would sit with the exact same people and stand in line with the same people every. Day. I understand people want to be with their friends, but that is the point! To meet new friends!

2. Shabraya on November 14th, 2018 12:59 pm

I agree that the Lunches should be mixed with different grades.

3. Dylan on November 14th, 2018 1:02 pm

I like my lunch because it has my friends.

4. Lauren on November 14th, 2018 1:06 pm

I think this article is very well written. I agree, I would like to have lunch with my grade.

5. Sophia W on November 14th, 2018 1:22 pm

I don’t think there should be mixed lunches, one reason is that having four lunches makes it difficult to go to teachers advisory’s because they could be teaching a class during your lunch.

6. Tristin Plank on November 14th, 2018 1:49 pm

I think that this is a good thing to talk about and I agree with this issue

7. Emily Bauer on November 14th, 2018 1:53 pm

I do agree, many of my friends are separated from be during lunch. We are always told to “Talk to your friends during lunch”, by how can we when we don’t have lunch with them? However, I do see why they do this. Perhaps it is a way for us to find more friends in other grades? But I do agree with you more.

8. Godzilla Peña on November 14th, 2018 1:59 pm

I would actually like it if the grade level lunches were brought back, the 7th graders budge in the lunch line way too much from making you the 10th in line to 30th in line, also they end up learning our bad behaviors which intern will make each year worse and worse with their common behavior…

9. That kid Ben on November 15th, 2018 9:12 am

I think you should have lunches with our own grade because I don’t have many friends in my lunch and it would be nice to have all of my friends at one table

10. Person on November 15th, 2018 10:07 am

I think mixed lunches is a good idea because you meet new people you wouldn’t usually talk to, but, I think grade separated lunch’s is also a good idea because then you would be able to sit with your friends.

11. Lindsay Maxfield on November 15th, 2018 12:50 pm

I agree that the lunches should be separated by grade level.

12. Riya on November 15th, 2018 12:51 pm

I agree! It’s harder to find people to sit with and it’s very chaotic in mixed lunches. This article is very well written!

13. Christantine on November 15th, 2018 12:57 pm

AaI honestly agree with this article we wanna have lunches with our grade only. But having mixed lunches is good as well because you can interact with new people instead of interacting with the same 8th graders everyday.

14. Mohamed on November 15th, 2018 12:59 pm

I also think we should have grade separated lunches.

15. Lauren Foss on November 15th, 2018 1:06 pm

This is really well written and persuasive, but I agree. Being able to eat lunch with our grade would make things much easier on the students.

16. Gabe k on November 15th, 2018 2:05 pm

I agree, I think we should have lunch with our own grade because sitting with people I don’t know is awkward.

17. Savannah on November 16th, 2018 9:06 am

I would like to have lunch with all of my friends instead of only a few. If we had grade lunches I think I might be a little better because we hang out with the people in our grade the most. We also have all of our classes with our same grade so we know them better and probably are friends with them.

This publication encourages civil discussion of important issues and values constructive reader feedback.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• We should have grade-separated lunches

Opinion

Dress code needs to be changed

Opinion

Zoos should be banned

Opinion

Girls should be accepted on boys’ sports teams

Opinion

Schools should have later start times

Opinion

Editorial: Arming teachers is not the answer

Opinion

VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

VMSS needs an LGBTQ+ support club

Opinion

Better background checks needed for gun ownership

Opinion

True respect requires action

Opinion

Phones should be allowed in school

A publication by and for students of Valley Middle School of STEM
We should have grade-separated lunches