The Eagle's Call

Middle schoolers dive into high school swimming

Photo by Lilian Vine

Photo by Lilian Vine

There are three middle schoolers on the Apple Valley High School Swim and Dive Team. They say the practices can run up to three hours and can be a lot for the swimmers, but the work pays off.

Two of the three middle schoolers, Sydney Banks and Alison Groeller, are in eighth grade. Alison is a diver, who joined swim and dive because she wanted to try a new sport and do something new. She wishes she could be a swimmer and diver, but can’t swim because of her asthma. She had never dove off a diving board before she joined the team, but now she feels right at home. Sydney’s favorite stroke is freestyle, but her best is butterfly. The last middle schooler, Lily Vine, is in seventh grade. Her favorite stroke is breaststroke and her best is butterfly.

Before every practice, there is a dry land or a workout. The dry land lasts about fifteen minutes. Alison says dry land is okay because it’s good for muscle and abs. To get to state or sections you need a one hundred and forty diving score, Alison averages seventy to eighty.

Sydney joined AVHS Swim and Dive team because both of her brothers were on the boys high school team. She went to one of the coaches summer swimming camps and he asked Sydney if she wanted to do it. During meets she thinks that it is great when people are cheering each other on and wishes they could do it more often. Sydney feels that she is closest to Abby Ackerman, one of the seniors. She likes all the coaches and thinks they are super supportive of the team and they do a great job coaching. She also likes dry land, on-land training, but she thinks it’s really hard. She says it gives you muscles and makes you stronger, and faster when swimming.

For an eighth grader, Sydney is pretty good, but she thinks she could be doing better. She says she might make it to sections, but not state. Sydney says she definitely is better than she was last year.

Sydney’s top swim is 1:07.34 seconds in her 100 yard freestyle.  Alison’s highest score for diving is 84.15 and her lowest score is 61.95.

Consider joining the AVHS Swim and Dive Team if you would like to be a swimmer or a diver for Apple Valley High School. Joining the team would be a perfect opportunity.

29 Comments

29 Responses to “Middle schoolers dive into high school swimming”

1. Joesuph on October 30th, 2018 7:50 pm

Sùpérkool

2. Sydney Banks on November 14th, 2018 12:58 pm

Good job with the writing for this article and this is a great way to recruit more people for our team.

3. Annie H on November 14th, 2018 1:07 pm

This is really cool. I’m also a swimmer but I swim for riptide.

4. Monica on November 14th, 2018 1:09 pm

I really liked the article, and was very interesting.

5. Rachel Appel on November 14th, 2018 1:56 pm

Good job to those 3 middle schoolers! It must be hard to swim everyday. But that’s very cool how they all made the high school team.

6. Hodan on November 14th, 2018 2:05 pm

Good job and I really liked the article it was very cool.

7. Cody Anderson on November 14th, 2018 2:18 pm

I thought this was very informative but I wish it said a little more on how the scoring works cause I have no experience in diving so it just confused me.

8. Maggie Glad on November 15th, 2018 8:55 am

This was a really interesting artical!!

9. Emma on November 15th, 2018 9:00 am

This article was interesting to me because I’ve never heard of middle schoolers on a high school team

10. Jennifer on November 15th, 2018 9:00 am

I think this a good article to show what the swimming team is about and how much you can learn and it’s good for you this makes people want to join the swimming team

11. Devin McGregor on November 15th, 2018 9:01 am

The article was very well written. Nice job to all those middle schoolers!

12. Devin McGregor on November 15th, 2018 9:04 am

This article was very well written. Nice job to all the middle schoolers!

13. Kevin on November 15th, 2018 9:05 am

Physically am a decent swimmer and for the middle schoolers to join the high school team is awesome. The middle schoolers have a “Disadvantage” Because there younger but in this case the middle schoolers might be even better that half of the high schoolers.

14. Marcell on November 15th, 2018 9:53 am

This is really cool and I didn’t know that stuff about swimming and diving but now I do.

15. Brodyn Ward on November 15th, 2018 10:02 am

Nice job on the article! I’m on the ski team and we do a lot of drylands, it seems hard but it is worth it.

16. Vivian on November 15th, 2018 10:03 am

I really liked how you wrote about the girls and what they want to do. I liked how you wrote why they joined the swim team and what inspired them. I also really liked how you showed their best swimming time and their lowest time. The article it self is just really inspiring and it’s a good way to get more 7th graders to join. Your article was very good and your choice of words were also good. Keep up the good work!

17. Tirsit on November 15th, 2018 10:05 am

I personally think you did a GREAT job with the wording and I think that it was very honest and realistic, seeing as though it came straight from the source.

18. Ruth Otto on November 15th, 2018 12:55 pm

This is a really thought out piece of writing. You based the information your knowledge and the knowledge of others as well. You showed me what it is like being on the swim team and how your hard work pays off.

19. Lauren Foss on November 15th, 2018 12:58 pm

I think this article was really well written, however I wish the way the judges score divers was involved as well.

20. Ali Dugan on November 15th, 2018 1:48 pm

Nice job on the article, it has some really good information. Your next article try to include some quotes.

21. Alex Needham on November 15th, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks for letting me know and the rest of us now we can understand how the swim team do there thang. I hope that when people read this article they might even join the swim team or maybe stop bullying people for like swimming

22. Mallory Quist on November 16th, 2018 8:59 am

This was a really good article! Good job!

23. Gwen on November 16th, 2018 9:00 am

Good job on the article Lilly. I think this was a good way to promote the swim team. I am a swimmer to but I swim for riptide and have considered joining the high school team.

24. Leo Chamberlain on November 16th, 2018 9:00 am

I think it’s really cool that 3 middle schoolers made it on the high school team. Some of the questions that I have about it is how long are the practices and how often are their meets. Also, where is the state meet? Good article.

25. Dwyne on November 16th, 2018 9:12 am

I think it was really cool

26. Joe O’Brien on November 16th, 2018 10:00 am

I really enjoyed reading this congrats on bein on the high school team. My question was is there an actual “tryouts” or do u just sign up?

27. Zamzam on November 16th, 2018 10:02 am

I really don’t like swimming because it’s hard for me but nice jobs all of you

28. Kenna Naughton on November 16th, 2018 10:05 am

I think the way that this article was written was good. I would’ve liked to see more of Lily because it kind of focused on the 8th graders. I think the hours that they put in are impressive for middle schoolers, and it’s impressive that they’re on the high school swim team.

29. Jasmine on November 16th, 2018 10:17 am

It’s nice how they all have fun and spend good time and have fun and a good time an enjoyed it .

This publication encourages civil discussion of important issues and values constructive reader feedback.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Middle schoolers dive into high school swimming

Arts & Entertainment

Overlooked crew shines in the spotlight

Community

At the CC: Mrs. Debby

Campus

Students invest in Stock Market Game

Campus

Students imagine, invest in the future

Community

At The CC: Community Center entertains local kids

Sports

The Eagles tackled the season

Community

Community dance class provides positive space for students

Arts & Entertainment

Valley Middle School: The Comic

Arts & Entertainment

A sneak peek inside the fall play: The Neverending Story

Arts & Entertainment

Students connect with K-pop

A publication by and for students of Valley Middle School of STEM