The Eagle's Call

Backpacks should be allowed in class

Artwork: Maddy Mortinson

Artwork: Maddy Mortinson

Ellie Voge, Staff Writer

Having backpacks in class would benefit both students and teachers.

For starters, students wouldn’t have to worry about going to lockers, which would prevent them from being tardy. It takes lots of time to go through the hallways to retrieve class items and still get to classes on time. Currently, students have to carry every single notebook to each class or have to rush to their locker between classes.

Another reason to have backpacks in class is to keep all student belongings off the tables so there is plenty of room for work. Backpacks could just hang from the chairs. After all, we use backpacks on the bus to keep things tidy and safe.

Students would only be wearing backpacks a few times a day, instead of all day long, so we’d be less likely to have back issues. It is also proven that if a backpack is really heavy and a student wears it for a long time, he or she might end up with a back injury.

There are a few reasons to keep backpacks out of class. I understand that teachers might be worried about a backpack’s contents. Students and teachers also wouldn’t have much space to walk around in the classroom if backpacks are on every chair. These possible problems do not outweigh the benefits.

Having backpacks would not only benefit the students, but also the teachers. Since students would have the extra time, they would be less likely to be late to next period. That would allow teachers to start class on time and not have to worry about students coming through the door late.

These are the reasons why we need to make a change at VMSS and allow backpacks in class.

16 Comments

16 Responses to “Backpacks should be allowed in class”

1. Olivia on October 26th, 2017 7:52 am

I agree with having backpacks and if they get in the way on the back of a chair you can just keep it under the table

[Reply]

2. Morgan Gallagher on October 26th, 2017 11:05 am

I agree as well, the 8th graders this year are allowed to have their backpacks, and I can speak for many people that we enjoy having them. It’s much easier to stay organized and it doesn’t really take up that much space in the classrooms. I believe I have heard by a teacher that they might be looking into having backpacks in middle school, and I hope they do! I always hated it when I dropped a folder and all the papers flew out only to have them destroyed by the crowds of students. A well written article, Ellie.

[Reply]

3. Benjamin Brueckner on October 27th, 2017 8:11 am

then again we dont need backpacks we can use binders!
    binders are smaller can fit all of your note books and folders!
    they even have small pockets to fit pens and stuff!
    you can put them under a table and bam you still have walking space!
    there not as noisy and sure they are more hard to carry around but is it worth it?

well thats just my thought i have one and they are small,strong and silent
    okay ill stop talking byeeee

[Reply]

Ellie Reply:

Yeah that is helpful but I’ve used a binder before it hurts your arms to be holding it around all day.

[Reply]

Benjamin Brueckner Reply:

Okay they may be hard ro bring around so backpacks should be allowed too

[Reply]

4. Random 8th grader on October 27th, 2017 3:37 pm

As an 8th grader, backpacks aren’t that noisy. As long as you are mature and respectful then backpacks are pretty great. No one plays with their backpack, even immature kids don’t even play with their backpacks. Plus holding all my notebooks and other things were a hassle to me during those times, my arms would hurt a lot and I sometimes get marks on my arm from my notebook binder. Wearing backpacks aren’t that heavy, it’s not like you carry your backpack 24/7. As for binders, yes that could work. I remember in 6-7th grade people had these book bag binders or whatever they were called, it’s like a backpack and binder at the same time. On the flip side they only store notebooks and papers. Backpacks on the other hand can store much more stuff. Ex: notebooks, water bottle, papers, books, pencil case, (whatever you need) etc. . . By the way, one of the hallways are so tight, some kids got their school stuff everywhere. People were shoving and pushing, and the other people were trying to get their stuff. So that’s why I wanted backpacks so badly at Apple Valley Middle School. Backpacks are not a hassle, they are easier and you can get to your classes faster. -some random 8th grader…

[Reply]

5. Claire on October 27th, 2017 7:11 pm

You made some fair points about the benefits of having backpacks in school,Ellie. However I do not believe backpacks are neccesary in the valley middle school environment.
    The school is not that big. When I was in middle school last year I went to my locker sometimes three times a day and It wasn’t a big hassle. Like Benjamin said someone could use a binder. They are a very good tool to use in the VMSS Scenario.
    Yes, backpacks are used at the High school because they are neccesary. If you’ve seen the school, you would know how big it is. Walking from one classroom to your locker and back without being tardy is almost impossible. At Valley Middle it isn’t impossible to do. If the school was bigger then backpacks should be considered, but not now.
    In the image that goes along with this very well done article is of a student struggling to carry a lot of school supplies in their arms. It was very well done but I do think the image is too dramatic. I have never seen someone struggling to carry their regular school supplies for their classes. Unless they have something big for a school project but not struggling on a daily basis. Again, binders are a great solution to carrying supplies.

[Reply]

6. Camila Gil on November 1st, 2017 3:13 pm

I also agree. Students should be able to have backpacks in class. Obviously they need to be respectful and mature with them.

[Reply]

7. David on November 6th, 2017 8:51 am

This would have a Awesome impact in Valley Middle School

[Reply]

8. Hunter Rotan on November 7th, 2017 10:05 am

Agree

[Reply]

9. Michael Herron on November 8th, 2017 12:15 pm

I feel like 6-7th graders should be able to use back packs. As an 8th grader it’s pretty slick. You have everything you need with you. Other than winter coats, lunch boxes, ect… I feel like 8th grade recuses don’t mind them. They really aren’t that big in he classroom. This also can be affected by what classroom you are in.

[Reply]

10. Anomonous on November 12th, 2017 6:27 pm

I don’t think backpacks should be allowed in the middle school. Yes I do agree with the points you’ve made, but you’re lockers are big enough to hold basically an empty backpack and winter gear. But I have suggestion to make to those who has to move to their lockers and classes in between periods. Instead of carrying only one period of stuff for your classes. Bring half the period stuff to class. Go to your locker and grab the other half. And you’ll be good to go. But again. The lockers are big enough for empty backpacks. Now add 28 to 30 kids in the class room, a teacher or two, and the 28 to 30 backpacks and the tables and chairs to support the class needs may get packed, and storing them under the tables may seem inconvenient feet space. It is still possible to get from one area to the other without being tardy. Especially the sixth graders. The only way you’re going to get a tardy if you have to go to the bathroom, talk to your friends, or get stuck in a cramped hallway. Should there be an option for backpack, yes. There should be also an option to carry around a binder to your class.

[Reply]

Anomonous Reply:

As of ,“bring half the period stuff.” I said. I meant bring half the days worth of stuff to your classes.

[Reply]

11. Random 8th grader on November 13th, 2017 4:55 pm

I have a question for all the people who don’t really like the backpack idea. Why do you not like carrying backpacks around at vmss if it was implemented? Just curious.

[Reply]

12. Name on November 20th, 2017 4:33 pm

Honestly, I think this is unnecessary. Backpacks in middle school. In 6th and 7th grade, you do not need that much. The reason we have backpacks at the high school is because A. our lockers don’t fit a backpack well and B. the school is a lot bigger and it would take us a long time to get back and forth. It is not that far to walk to a locker in the middle school. And if you’re complaining that your notebooks hurt your arms, there are many ways to solve that. And it’s not a long walk to class. You can survive your arms hurting from your books for that walk. Plus, they are bulky. That’s true. Even in the high school, they can be a pain to shove under a desk. This has been an ongoing argument since before you came to the middle school and, in my opinion, an unnecessary one.

[Reply]

13. Anonymous on November 28th, 2017 8:28 am

It makes sense because when we go to high school we will have to carry backpacks so why not now. And it’s much easier to put it on your back rather than you carrying books or a binder around

[Reply]

This publication encourages civil discussion of important issues and values constructive reader feedback.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

Girls should be accepted on boys’ sports teams

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

Schools should have later start times

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

Editorial: Arming teachers is not the answer

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

VMSS should add higher-level classes

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

VMSS needs an LGBTQ+ support club

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

Better background checks needed for gun ownership

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

True respect requires action

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

Phones should be allowed in school

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

Gun violence: a colossal problem requiring action

• Backpacks should be allowed in class

Opinion

Reader’s letter: VMSS lockers are frustrating

A publication by and for students of Valley Middle School of STEM
Backpacks should be allowed in class