The Eagle's Call

Girls should be accepted on boys’ sports teams

Maggie Glad, Guest Writer, 6th Grade

Did you know that more than 7.3 million kids participated in youth sports during 2017? Girls rarely play with boys sports teams, and coaches and sports fans should be more accepting of girls on boys sports teams. Girls have the same athletic ability, girls are as strong or as tall as boys and various laws say that girls should be on the same sports teams if they choose to.

To start, girls are as tall or muscular as boys. If a girl isn’t as strong as a boy, she can train until she is as strong as a boy. Also girls can already be as strong as boys. For instance, Skylar Vetter is a 15-year-old girl from Lakeville. She plays hockey, but for boys. She is a goalie for the Bantam AA team (the best team before high school hockey) for Lakeville North. She has played hockey with boys all through her youth. She has a scholarship to the University of Minnesota for hockey.

Laura Winfield, a cricket star, played with boys all through her youth all the way through high school. Now Laura is one of the greatest cricket stars.  Plus studies show that girls have better endurance, do better under pressure and think faster. For example in many sports athletes have to think quickly. Athletes have to choose whether or not they pass the ball or shoot the ball and women can make decisions very quickly and easily.

Lastly the Sex Discrimination Law says that if a woman has a disadvantage to the average man in any sport or activity it is unlawful. Also the Law of 1972 says that girls should have the same sport opportunities as men.

In conclusion, some think that girls cannot be on boys sports teams because they are not strong enough. But, if girls try they can be as strong as boys. All in all girls should be accepted on the same sports team as boys because they have the same athletic ability as boys, they can be the same height and weight as boys and because of various laws girls should have the same opportunities as men.

13 Comments

13 Responses to “Girls should be accepted on boys’ sports teams”

1. Someone you don't know on April 29th, 2018 9:02 pm

Are you just gonna let join a girl volley ball team? No? That’s what I thought

2. Anonymous on May 9th, 2018 12:15 pm

They’re called BOY and GIRL teams for a reason. Though I respect the effort out into the article, there are already co-ed teams. Boy teams are specific to males for their testosterone level strength. Girl teams are specific to females for their estrogen level strengths.

3. Sam on May 11th, 2018 1:58 pm

I get the idea and everything and it’s a good thing to say why this should happen and all but it just doesn’t work like that. There’s boy teams and there’s girl teams. If you are a male(meaning you have male genitalia if you choose not to identify in that way) you don’t join a girls team. Same goes with both sexes. I’m not against the idea, you just have to put a little bit more logic into it. You could maybe have both male or females on a team together but when there is separate teams with separate genders it doesn’t work that way.

4. Olivia on May 17th, 2018 8:02 pm

Ok I understand all three of these negative comments. Yes there are boys, girls, and coed teams, but some girls might not like those teams, her athletic ability could match better and be more valuable on a ‘boys team’. The one thing all of this negativity towards this article proves is that there is no gender equality. It just proves that no matter how equal we think women’s and men’s rights and opinions are, girls are still confined to a stereotype on what our society has decided.

5. Amelia on May 22nd, 2018 11:32 am

Then boys should be allowed on girls team if it’s about equality. Although I respect your opinion, if you’re talking equality then maybe what you should be shooting for is neutralizing teams altogether.

6. Boy on May 25th, 2018 7:52 am

Why can’t boys play on girls teams then?

7. Boy on May 25th, 2018 7:57 am

Why can’t boys play girls sports then?

8. Jasper on October 4th, 2018 12:46 pm

They are called boys and girls sport teams for a reason

9. Olivia on October 8th, 2018 12:07 pm

This was posted last year and I still feel the amount of negativity towards is still strong. I’m going to say what I said last time: a girl shouldn’t have to be on a ‘girls team’ just because of a gender she was given at birth. Same with a boy shouldn’t have to be on a ‘boys team’ for the same reason. Equal rights means we shouldn’t have to separate. A girl could perform better and be a more valuable team member on a ‘boys team’ same with having a boy playing on a ‘girls team’ could be helpful. Before 6th grade, I actually played flag football on a team that was all boys, and most of the league was boys too. I was the only girl in flag football other than one girl who was in the youngest team. I still had fun. I might not have been the best at it, but you don’t see any female teams for flag football. There are just some sports that only have boys teams or sports that only have girls teams. It’s not fair to a person who wants to play a sport not be able to because of their gender.

10. Skylar Vetter on October 9th, 2018 7:29 pm

Love this

11. Tyler on October 12th, 2018 1:52 pm

Studies have shown that male’s and female’s muscles grow differently. Therefore male and females should’t be allowed to be on each other’s teams. You argue in your article that some athletes would be more helpful on the other genders team because of there skill in the particular sport but if the student is so talented at his or her sport the middle school does provide an option to play at the high school in their particular sport because of their talent. You mention gender inequality in one of your notes and I might point out that an opportunity to play is better than none at all, it’s not like boys are receiving a better coach in any sport.

12. Tyler on October 12th, 2018 2:02 pm

This artical is fascinating I think both sides of this argument have really good points. I think that girls and boys should be able to participate in the other genders sports. As you mentioned girls are just as good as boys and I might even add that some girls are better than some boys

13. bumble on November 15th, 2018 1:51 pm

they got girl teams tho. i disagree with this article

This publication encourages civil discussion of important issues and values constructive reader feedback.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Girls should be accepted on boys’ sports teams

Opinion

Dress code needs to be changed

Opinion

We should have grade-separated lunches

Opinion

Zoos should be banned

Opinion

Schools should have later start times

Opinion

Editorial: Arming teachers is not the answer

Opinion

VMSS should add higher-level classes

Opinion

VMSS needs an LGBTQ+ support club

Opinion

Better background checks needed for gun ownership

Opinion

True respect requires action

Opinion

Phones should be allowed in school

A publication by and for students of Valley Middle School of STEM